Wednesday, July 22, 2009

We belong, among the wildflowers...

So all week I've had every song about wildflowers I know running through my head simultaneously. It starts with "Wiiiiiiildflowers" (actually not a song about wildflowers, but Wildfire, the tragic horse and the name of my first car) then moves to Tom Petty "You belong, among the wildflowers, you belong somewhere you feel free" and then finishes with Ryan Adams "Wildflowers, dear". Yeah, I only know three songs about wildflowers. But that seems like a lot.

Why all these songs about wildflowers? Because, my beloved blog readers, we had a very special trip to the mountains this Saturday for the Wildflower Festival! My mom and Griffin and I went together, and had a lovely time. The flowers were beautiful, the mountain was the deepest, brightest shade of green, the weather was mild (sorta, it was a little on the hot side, but way better than down in the valley). Griffin loved listening to bluegrass music, and drawing on the pavement with sidewalk chalk while we waited for our guided hike. We took the children's hike, and our poor guide was trying so hard to teach 5 two year olds about the flowers. It was so funny, she's talking about the colors and the names of the flowers, and all the kids are chasing a butterfly together.

It was also a very interesting mix of people in the group. One of those "small world" experiences. First, our guide was a lady my mom and I have known from church for about 15 years. Then, one of the other families in the group has a little boy who is only a few days older than Griffin who lives in our neighborhood right next the park, so we've played with him before. Then, we were talking to another one of the mom's, and we discovered that they had just moved from Shawnee Mission/Overland Park area (that's right next to where we lived in Kansas, I worked in Overland Park). Small World!

It was truly a lovely time. We even got packets of seeds that I can't wait to plant in my garden this fall. Hopefully, by next spring we'll have our own "Wildflowers, dear" and I can sing those three songs all the time!






3 comments:

Joelle said...

I went hiking this weekend too - on Saturday. It would have been a very small world if we would have seen each other.

Linda said...

You are so exressive in your stories. Sounds like a lovely day and a small world! New friends are always welcomed. Love hearing from you!

Rachel said...

Where was that? My mom and I think it sounds wonderful.
P.S. I'm in town...let's play.